Monday 19 April 2010

Planting in the sunshine

It has certainly been a fairly hectic few weeks, but I have managed to visit the plot and continue with some of the jobs I'm trying to get completed before the real growing season begins.

As you can see below, I have finally reached the bottom of the pile and am now building up the barriers to hold the weeds/soil back and then I'll dig this over and level it off as best I can. I've moved some of the soil to the raised bed by the shed and as you can see it's nicely full.






The potatoes have been chitting happily and I planted a few rows 2 weeks ago. To finish them off, I planted the rest and now have 12 (and a bit) rows with a mixture of Earlies and Mains. I did have the fleece on the first lot, but with the weather having warmed up, I have taken that off and we'll see how they get on. Not much to see form the photo, but they are there!




I'd also weeded around the strawberry plants and raspberry canes and as you can see they are starting to look healthy and the raspberries are showing nice signs of growth. One of my jobs is to sort out the frame and netting to protect the crop this year, so the search for suitable wood is on.





I'm planning on trying to sort out a day off shortly to make a little more progress and having been to my parents at the weekend, there are some great looking plants in my Dad's greenhouse, so I need to be ready. Also, I want to start with some of the seeds and the children want to plant some stuff too. Not to mention staining the shed...and more......

As long as the sun keeps showing it's face, we'll all be happy.

2 comments:

Kella said...

Hi I'm just catching up on everyone's blogs that I follow.

Things are certainly looking good on your plot.

My spuds are in to.

Unknown said...

I have to agree with Kella - it's all looking good!! If you ever need me to water for you, just text me - I am there everyday - I am sure your strawberries and raspberries will appreciate a drink in this hot weather. Your better half has my mobile.
Ali