Thursday, 21 April 2011

Ricky is on guard!

Had an opportunity to go to the plot again on Wednesday, so managed to get a little bit more done, ahead of the Easter weekend. Also, 'Ricky', my scarecrow that we made last weekend was keen to get out in the fields and start having a go at the birds, so I took him down with me too.

Here he is!!

Cleared all around the shed and laid down some plastic sheeting and also covered some of it with the wood chips, so this is starting to take shape. The water butt has been moved to the rear of the shed in preparation for the guttering.

Finally, spent some time weeding and clearing the strawberries, as well as mulching them and also, doing the same for the last row of raspberries.

This leaves me to complete the strawberries, plant the potatoes and also some peas and dwarf beans at the weekend. I'll also try to finish off the area by the shed and weed the raised bed too. Lots to do, but we are getting there!

Monday, 18 April 2011

Back in the saddle.....finally

View of my plot, facing West from the side of the shed.

Well I'll be honest, I just haven't had the time over the winter the prepare the plot for the coming season and with the knowledge that I needed to catch up and quickly, I set about digging, weeding and clearing up over the last few weeks, to finally get to a point where I'm just about ready.

I'm now at the point where I've dug over the majority of the plot and improved one half of the plot with the top quality manure provided by Nigel in the Trading Hut, to help the soil along. In addition, although I also failed to order my potatoes last autumn, there were extras for sale and I purchased some Early and Mains. My first time for Rooster's. I planted out 3 rows of Earlies the other week and will continue to do so as April turns to May.....

My strawberries and raspberries were getting out of hand and having sorted out the raspberries and cut down the old canes, I weeded and have mulched around the bases as I'm sure they'll need that this year too. The strawberries also need the same amount of work and there are plenty of new plants, which I am transplanting in the extra section I have finally got around to digging. This will increase the size of my fruit area, but as they are very popular, then I'm more than happy.

Over the coming week or so, I will complete this and mulch in and around these too.

I have a real problem with the grass, especially couch grass, which just takes over. I had hoped to avoid it growing around the shed area, but no luck, so I've had to completely clear this area again and am putting plastic sheeting and weed cover down, which I'll then cover with wood chips. With luck this will work a little better and stop it intruding on everything. Once this is completed, I'll put my water butt at the rear of the shed, buy and set up my guttering to collect some water.

I can then cut down the grass to a reasonable level on the paths around the plot, as I always take down my shears, but never get time to do this. Once day I will!

Anyway, feeling a little better about the situation now and am also looking forward to planting some lettuce, carrots, peas and dwarf beans over the coming weeks too. Oh and one last thing. Last year for my 40th Birthday, I was given a scarecrow kit and finally yesterday afternoon in the beautiful sunshine, I made it. (with a little help from my daughter). His name is Ricky.

Happy Growing.