Friday 28 November 2008

Tea and biscuits......

Well thanks to the US Thanksgiving holiday, I was given the opportunity to get a bit more work done on the plot. Karen very kindly gave me a lift down there for my morning's workout, as I had the kitchen waste and 2 hugs bags of leaves from Adrian. All pretty quiet down there, although Derek was working away and the Sun even managed to come out for a little while. It was so warm I had to take my fleece off, although it did make up for it and start raining too, but not for long.

As I was hoping, I used my mattock to good use once again and cleared the final two 'rotation' beds, in order that I could prepare each bed ready for double digging. I have to say it did feel good to finally get the grass/weeds/brambles/carpet, etc all cleared so I could actually see the plot and start to get an idea of where all the fruit and veg will grow.

Now for the most important bit. For the first time, I sat down and had a cup of tea (well a few by the end) from my flask and some biscuits. Now that was a nice feeling, my first rest whilst I've been at work on the plot. It certainly did taste good and gave me the encouragement to get the rest done...I'm looking forward to many more of them, that's for sure!

I then set to work on each bed, digging a 'spit' and moving the soil to the other end of each bed and then each time I go down, I shall move from one bed to another to make sure whatever digging I get done, I shall have each bed at least partially ready to go.

I also sorted out the mass of carpet, rolled up the bits I could use and put them in front of the compost bins out of the way. With the remainder, I filled some of my old bags to go to the tip at some point with the other rubbish I had collected.

Finally, I used some old compost bin parts, I found lying around and made up a container for the leaves to make leaf mould and emptied the leaves I had into it. Still plenty of room, so I shall have to get a few more, as that will come in handy next year.

Amazing to think it was just over a month ago I first came down to the plot and took the first photo's. I took some more to show what I'd been up to and now it's a lot of hard work digging and getting out all those pesky roots.

No comments: