Tuesday 9 June 2009

It's all coming along nicely

Last weekend I managed to spend a little bit of time covering the cabbages with netting as I think the birds were having their fill and also built a frame for the sweet peas with the last few bits of wood I had left.

As always there is always plenty of weeding to do, so I once again kept them down as much as possible to give the plants a chance to grow.

Here's one of the courgette plants from my Dad and they seem to have settled in nicely and are now flowering. Indeed, so are some of the tomato plants.

Also, the sweetcorn have clearly got theirs roots all nicely spread in the soil, the stems are thickening and they are starting to reach for the skies as you can see below. They really do seem to have shot up this last week.

.................and as you can see from this bed, the carrots which did seem to start off a little slowly have now started to shoot up, with the rocket and lettuce also coming along. I think I should have thinned this by now, so I will have to look at them next weekend.

....and finally, although the strawberries have been a bit of a disaster, we did have one! All four of us had a taste and it was delicious, so I only hope the other plants find their legs and start to improve, so we'll see.


After doing the weeding, I put in the 2 sunflower plants for Ellie and Tom, for the church competition, along with the 3 cucumber plants from my Dad and put all the sweet pea seeds in next to the frame, so most of the beds are pretty full up. Luckily, we are having plenty of rain, so all of these should do well over the next few weeks. I just need to concentrate on keeping on top of things and keeping it all alive.

On Sunday, I bashed together my shelf/table and took this down to the shed, to tidy things up in there. I plan to try to continue with the staining of the shed, weeding, dig up some potatoes and thin the carrots and lettuces this weekend. I need to make sure it's all looking good as we have some special guests coming the week after and I'm sure to have an inspection!

1 comment:

ReapWhatYouGrow said...

Our strawberries were quite limited this year but I agree that it is worth it just for the taste. Hopefully next year....

I think the rain came at the wrong time for the strawbs this year. No shortage now though. The courgettes will go wild!